Northeastern Seminary

Prospective Students | New Student Orientation

New Student Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Support

Who is my advisor? 
Advisors will be assigned at the cohort retreat. If you have any questions about your courses before that point, please contact Coordinator of Academic Planning, Marilyn Erickson at 585.594.6497.

Where do I obtain phone numbers if I need to contact someone (i.e. professors, financial aid, student records, bookstore, etc.)? 
For the name and address of an NES faculty or staff member, refer to the NES Directory and Campus Resources sections of this web site.

Do I have all the books I need for my first year? 
You should have already received one box of books for your first Core class (BHT 511). Books for subsequent courses are the responsibility of the student. These will normally be available for purchase at the bookstore but may be purchased from any source the student chooses.

Is there help available for writing my papers? 
A theological writing course is offered concurrently with BHT 511. Additionally, the Learning Center offers assistance to any students who wish to improve their writing skills. Personal consultations, as well as open writing labs, are available to all NES students. The Learning Center can also assist students with learning disabilities or academic difficulties. For more information or to set up an appointment, call 585.594.6270.

Who do I contact in reference to my class registration and grades?
You can access R-Serve (which gives you registration and grading information) through the NES intranet. Directions to access R-Serve are listed here. Contact Academic Support at 585.594.6623 with any questions. 

Financial Aid & Student Accounts

Who is the best person to call in reference to my student financial account? 
For all billing questions, please call Paul Renter in the office of student accounts, 585.594.6150.

What are my financial aid options (grants/loans)? 
There are several loan and grant options often available to students. You must complete your FAFSA application online ( before any aid can be disbursed. NES also offers an interest-free monthly tuition payment option with Nelnet for masters and doctoral students. Other available scholarship applications will be made available at the end of your first year of study.

How is the scholarship money applied to my student account? 
The scholarship money you receive will be prorated over the two semesters of the academic year. For students planning to take an elective course in the summer term (May/June) consult Steve Field in financial aid to ensure aid is disbursed appropriately.


Where can I park on campus? 
You may use the Roberts Hall Lot (off Orchard Street) or Smith Science Center Lot (off Buffalo Road). Once you have completed and returned the pink parking permit card, you will be issued a parking pass. Please refer to the parking instructions on the Campus Security section of the RWC website.

Buffalo students may park for free, without a permit, at 6500 Sheridan Drive.
Syracuse students may park for free, without a permit, at Mawhinney Hall. 

How often do I need to reapply for parking? 
Your parking permit is valid for one academic year (August-July). You will be contacted by the security office when renewal time is near.

Technical Support

What computer requirements are there for degree programs?
Please use this list to check the minimum hardware requirements, operating system options, and software requirements for degree programs.

Who helps me with IT problems with the NES intranet, password logins, and the web site? 
To help get you started with the process, use the IT manual provided online for most of your questions. If that still does not help, call the RWC/NES IT department at 585.594.6898.

How do I gain access to the computer lab at NES if it is locked? 
You will be issued an NES ID card that has the ability to open the computer lab door by swiping the card reader to the left of the entrance.

Student Life 

Where are the NES announcements and events posted? 
The Seminary uses two primary modes of contact to students -  the intranet and NEwSPOINT, a bi-weekly electronic newsletter sent to your student e-mail account. Additionally, you will typically find announcements, events, and jobs openings posted on the white boards in classrooms 213 and 313. Information will also be placed in your student mail folder, located in the first floor filing cabinet (near the elevator). Check your folder often! Student assignment binders are returned to the bookshelves next to the 1st floor elevator after courses are completed.

Where do I go to make copies? 
The RWC library and Smith Science Center both have copiers available for student use.

When is the All-Seminary Retreat and what is it about? 
The All-Seminary Retreat is a one-day event that includes current students, alumni, faculty and staff. Once a year, the Seminary gathers for a time of spiritual nurturing and renewal. All seminary students are required to attend and do so at no cost to them. Spouses are invited for a nominal cost. The All-Seminary Retreat for 2015-16 is November 6-7, 2015.

How do students communicate with seminary leaders?
Student feedback is always appreciated. Several opportunities to meet with seminary staff occur throughout the year including receptions and town meetings. You may also e-mail staff directly with questions or concerns. See directory for addresses.






Military Friendly School - 2015
Join us on Facebook Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Twitter
Northeastern Seminary at Roberts Wesleyan College | 2265 Westside Drive, Rochester, NY 14624-1997 | 800.777.4RWC or 585.594.6802 | Contact Us/Directory | Sitemap & Search