Ph.D., Theology, The Institute for Christian Studies/Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam
Graduate Studies, Old Testament, Colgate Rochester Divinity School
M.A., Philosophy, University of Guelph
Graduate Studies, Religion Studies and Philosophy, Syracuse University
B.Th., Theology, Jamaica Theology Seminary
Dr. J. Richard Middleton is widely published in religious periodicals and journals and is the author of four books. Special areas of interest include Old Testament theology, the Christian worldview, the books of Genesis and Samuel, the doctrine of Creation, and Christianity and postmodern culture. Dr. Middleton served as president of the Canadian Evangelical Theological Association and additionally serves as an adjunct professor of Old Testament at the Caribbean Graduate School of Theology in Kingston, Jamaica.
- Christianity and Postmodernism
- Christian Worldview
- Holistic Eschatology: the Redemption of Heaven and Earth
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Lament Psalms and Human Suffering
- A New Heaven and a New Earth: Reclaiming Biblical Eschatology, (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2014).
- Richard Middleton, Brian Walsh, and Mark Vander Vennen, The Advent of Justice: A Book of Meditations, ed. Sylvia Keesmaat (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2014).
- A Kairos Moment for Caribbean Theology: Ecumenical Voices in Dialogue, eds. J. Richard Middleton and Garnett Roper (Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2013).
- The Liberating Image: The Imago Dei in Genesis 1, (Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2005).
- Richard Middleton and Brian Walsh, Truth Is Stranger Than It Used to Be: Biblical Faith in a Postmodern Age, (Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 1995).
- “To Love What God Loves: Understanding the Cosmic Scope of Redemption,” (Chesterton House and the Asian-American IVCF group at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, September 25, 2015).
- “The Bible as One Coherent Story,” (seminar, Pearce Memorial Church, Rochester, NY, September 16, 2015).
- Annual Worship Service Speaker, (Proud and Free, Jamaica 53, Genesee Baptist Church, Rochester, NY, July 26, 2015).
- “Faith Seeking Understanding: Reflections on Narrative Biblical Hermeneutics from a Canadian Immigrant Perspective,” (paper presentation, Canadian Society of Biblical Studies, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, June 1, 2015).
- “Is God Fickle?” (paper presentation, Canadian Society of Biblical Studies, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, May 30, 2015).
- “Herod as Pharaoh,” (keynote address, Rochester Consortium of Theological Schools, St. Bernard’s School of Theology and Ministry, Rochester, NY, May 21, 2015).
- “A Spirituality of the Ragged Edges: The Lament Psalms as a Resource for Faith in Times of Trouble,” (seminar, Pearce Memorial Church, Rochester, NY, May 6, 2015).
- “A Sacred Call for Sacred Work,” (keynote address, Center for Faith & Work, Redeemer Presbyterian Church, New York City, November 8, 2014).
- “The Bible’s Best Kept Secret,” (Roberts Wesleyan College Chapel, 2012).