Dr. Rebecca S. Letterman grew up as the daughter of a Pentecostal minister and sensed a call to full-time ministry as a child. She is now an ordained Elder in the Free Methodist Church (Genesis Conference). Dr. Letterman began her formal Christian spiritual formation studies in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with Dr. Adrian van Kaam, founder of the field of Formative Spirituality, and his colleague Dr. Susan Muto. After completing an Advanced Certification Program in Formative Spirituality, Dr. Letterman served at the academy as an adjunct teacher in the program and recently coauthored with Dr. Muto a basic introduction to van Kaam’s work. In 2006 her family moved to Rochester, and thus began her relationship with Northeastern Seminary, where she currently teaches Formative Spirituality courses and guides the spiritual formation components of the curriculum. She is a founding member and volunteer clergy person at Community of the Savior, Mt. Hope, where she regularly preaches, celebrates Eucharist, plans and leads liturgies, cantors, and serves in healing prayer ministry. Dr. Letterman’s vocation focuses on bridging formative faith traditions – whether across time or across cultures – in order to foster respect for diversity, while at the same time nurturing unity among Judeo-Christian faith communities that are seeking to live in vital relationship with God, one another, and the wider world.
- Simpler Living
- The Role of the Body in Christian Living
- Practicing Healthy Rhythms of Rest and Engagement
- Spiritual Self-Care for Christian Leaders
- Vitality in Communal and Personal Prayer
- Women’s Experiences as Honored in Scripture: Genesis
- Spirituality and Technology
- Retreat Facilitation and Spiritual Formation Consultation and Seminars
- “Exploring Together the Fullness of Biblical Rest,” (presentation, Bethany Presbyterian Church, Rochester, NY, October 10, 2015).
- “Alive in Your Talk with Christ,” (presentation, Roberts Wesleyan College Chapel, Rochester, NY, September 14, 2015).
- “Exploring Prayer Together,” (prayer workshop, Browncroft Community Church, Rochester, NY, April 18, 2015).
- “Growing Deeper in Our Spiritual Journey: Exploring Spiritual Practices,” (retreat series, Pearce Memorial Church, Rochester, NY, April 2015).
- “…Thy Kingdom Come,” (presentation, Roberts Wesleyan College Chapel, Rochester, NY, March 2015).
- “Women in Genesis: God Knows Our Stories,” (presentation, Bethany Presbyterian Church Women’s Group, Rochester, NY, February 2015).
- “Discerning the Presence of God in Everyday Life,” (retreat, Bethany Presbyterian Church, Greece Canal Park, Rochester, NY, October 18, 2014).
- “Compassion Fatigue,” (presentation, Genesee Valley Oncology Nursing Association Training Day, October 3, 2014).
- “Deepening Our Walk with God,” (presentation, Pearce Memorial Church, Rochester, NY, 2014).