Doctor of Ministry Leveling Requirements

Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) leveling assumes a student has completed a master’s degree. In the case where an individual has a non-theological master's degree (ie MBA, M.Ed.), they may need to complete additional graduate-level course work in theology, biblical studies, and ministerial education. Ministry experience alone is not considered the equivalent of or a substitute for, a base of formal study in theology, biblical studies, and ministry.



What do I need to start my Doctor of Ministry degree?

1. Do you have a M.A. or M.Div. from an accredited theological school? If yes, you have met the educational prerequisite and can apply today. If no, which category best describes you?

    • I have an advanced degree in another discipline (ie MBA, M.Ed. or Ph.D.).

      Because your degree is in another discipline, you will be required to complete an 18-credit graduate-level certificate offered at Northeastern Seminary. This graduate program is a registered and accredited graduate program and is eligible for federal financial aid. The Certificate must be completed with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be eligible to apply the D.Min. program. The certificate will consist of a base of six classes. Please take special note of the class requirements and suggestions below:  

      • Three Great Conversation classes (online or onsite) 
      • Three other courses of your choosing (excluding field education). We recommend two of your three classes be in Biblical Interpretation and Pastoral Formation (online or onsite).
    • I have done prior graduate-level study in theology, biblical studies, or ministry, but do NOT hold an advanced degree.

If you do not have an advanced degree, you will be required to obtain at least a Master of Arts (M.A.) or Master of Divinity (M.Div.) before applying to the Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) program. In addition, if your graduate coursework was taken within the last seven years, you may be eligible for transfer credits depending on your prior degree. You may submit an unofficial copy of all your prior graduate work to JP Anderson, Associate Vice President for Seminary Enrollment.

2. How do I complete the required leveling work? Online or onsite coursework may be completed at Northeastern Seminary or any other ATS-accredited seminary. If classes are taken at another institution, official transcripts must be sent to Northeastern Seminary.

3. What program do I apply to if I only need to complete the Certificate program before the D.Min. program? You will want to apply and be accepted into the Certificate program before applying to the D.Min. program. Once you are done with the Certificate program, you may apply to the D.Min. program. Please make note of the following two items below: 

    • We will reuse your recommendations for the D.Min. application and recommend that you choose three recommenders for the Certificate program since the D.Min. program requires three recommenders. 
    • We will use your transcript that were submitted for the Certificate program for the D.Min. program.